BEE Awesome Brief: The one they never forget.
sent by Julie Bee | April 12, 2023
The mantra that helps me balance confidence and humility.
I’ve been underestimated my entire life, yet I never stop trying. In a recent podcast, I talked about my underdog mentality and how it’s served me well as a business owner. I now live by the mantra, “Be the one they don’t see coming and the one they never forget.” How does someone do this without appearing arrogant while also maintaining their self-esteem? It requires a combination of four traits which stirred this week’s big idea: How does an entrepreneur stay hungry, humble, confident, and kind?
Identify one action for each of those traits (hungry, humble, confident, kind) that you will practice daily. Then you get the reps in. Here are my examples for each.
- Hungry – Always be connecting (ABC). I like making new connections for myself; I love making connections between awesome humans and seeing what comes of it.
- Humble – Quickly admit when I know that I do not know the answer.
- Confident – Drop the maybes, shoulds, coulds, and thinks. Instead of saying, “Maybe we could…,” I’ll say, “We/I will.”
- Kind – Before engaging with anyone, take three seconds to consider what’s going on in the other person’s world.
Elevate Your Business
If you practice the four traits behind the mantra, you will find success, earn respect, and be appreciated. You’ll find yourself with a positive reputation that is beyond reproach. That reputation will elevate you, your team, and your business.
Awesome Around Us
- Denise Cagan’s podcast, Nurture Small Business, had some great episodes! Check out the one from March about reauthorizing the SBA.
- Natalie Williams was recently named an honoree and recipient of the Career Mastered 2023 award.
- Congrats to Mike De Los Santos for opening a smokehouse location for his delicious BBQ. If you’re in the Durham, NC, area definitely check it out.
Thanks for reading – I’ll catch you next week!